Businesses with Specific Requirements

Businesses in these industries have additional reports to file along with their quarterly reports.


Premiums in the Drywall Industry are based on the square footage of material purchased and installed instead of the hours worked like premiums in most industries.

Mechanized Logging

Mechanized logging classifications help firms save money on their industrial insurance premiums. This classification requires them to submit a special report with their quarterly report.


Both contractors and landowners in the reforestation industry must file reports with L&I.


Effective July 23, 2015, mandatory workers compensation insurance coverage from the Department of Labor and Industries (L&I) is cancelled for drivers of for-hire, taxi, or limousines who own a vehicle or lease one from others. This change is based on a new law passed by the legislature Engrossed Substitute House Bill 5550 (123 KB PDF). These drivers may elect coverage beginning July 24, 2015. If you pay someone to drive your vehicle, you must buy worker's comp insurance for them.

Temporary Staffing

These companies provide employers with qualified workers to fill short- and long-term, temporary positions. This industry has its own set of rates and record-keeping requirements. Get step-by-step instructions to estimate the cost of covering a client's workers with insurance.


Trucking firms insuring their workers through Washington State industrial insurance must keep and preserve original time records.

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve