Accepted Credentials for Interpreters

< Back to How to Become an Interpreter

What credentials does L&I accept?

On this page:

Maintaining credentials

Interpreters are responsible for maintaining their credentials as required by the credentialing agency or organization. Should the interpreter's credentials expire or be removed for cause or any other reason, the interpreter must immediately notify L&I or self-insurer(s).

Credentials required by L&I for interpreters

Interpreters are required to have at least 1 of the following credentials in order to have an L&I or Crime Victim interpreter account number.

Agency or organizationTypeCredential
WA State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) Certified Interpreter Social or Medical Certificate
Qualified Interpreter Letter of authorization as qualified social and/or medical services interpreter.
Certified Translator Translator Certificate
WA State Administrative Office of the Courts (AOC) Certified Interpreter Certificate
NAD-RID National Interpreter Certification (NIC) Certified Interpreter Certified Advanced (Level 2),
Certified Expert (Level 3)
Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) Certified Interpreter Comprehensive Skills Certificate (CSC),
Master Comprehensive Skills Certificate (MCSC),
Certified Deaf Interpreter (CDI),
Specialist Certificate: Legal (SC:L),
Certificate of Interpretation and Transliteration (CI/CT)
National Association of the Deaf (NAD) Certified Interpreter Level 4 and Level 5
Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI) Certified Healthcare Interpreter Certificate
National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters Certified Medical Interpreter Certificate
Federal Court Interpreter Certification Exam Program (FCICE) Certified Interpreter Certificate
Qualified Interpreter Letter of designation or authorization
US Dept of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs - English Language Officers and Interpreters Certified Interpreter Verification letter or Certificate
American Translators Association (ATA) Certified Translator Certificate
A state or federal agency;
A state or federal court system;
Other organization including language agencies; and/or
An accredited academic institution of higher education.
Qualified Translator Certificate or other verification showing:
Successful completion of an exam of written language fluency in both English and in the other tested language(s); and
A minimum of 2 years experience in document translation.

Credentials from other organizations or states

Interpreters located outside of Washington state must submit credentials from their state Medicaid program, state or national court systems or other nationally recognized programs. For interpreters from any geographic area, credentials submitted from agencies or organizations other than those listed above, may be accepted if the testing criteria can be verified as meeting the minimum standards listed below:

Testing criteria
Interpreter test consists of, at a minimum:Translator test consists of at a minimum:
A written test in English; andA written test in English and in the other language(s) tested; or
A verbal test of sight translation in both English and other tested language(s); andA written test and work samples demonstrating the ability to accurately translate from one specific source language to another specific target language.
A verbal test of consecutive interpretation in both languages. 
For those providing services in a legal setting, a verbal test of simultaneous interpretation in both languages. 

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

  © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.