How providers arrange services

The doctor or vocational provider determines if the patient needs communication assistance. Prior to ordering interpretive services, check claim status. For open claims, interpreting for an injured worker or a crime victim is a covered service and does not require prior authorization.

What modality of interpretation should the provider choose? (PDF file)

IMIA Guide on Working with Medical Interpreters (PDF file)


Over-the-phone interpretation services

Available in minutes for nearly 200 different languages. Read about how it works and get the toll-free number.

Face-to-face interpretation

Find a face-to-face interpreter using our interpreter look-up service.

Professional conduct for face-to-face interpreters

Read about standards of conduct.

How facilities manage interpreter services

Read about how facilities choose interpreters, coordinate with other facilities and the special rules or requirements that facilities may have for interpreters.


If you have questions, please contact Megan Lemon,, or call 360-902-5161..

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve