Check L&I Business Requirements

Find out what L&I requirements apply to your business.

Questions? Contact us! L&I's Small Business Liaison Office.

My business uses independent contractors or casual labor.

Consider anyone you hire to be your employee for workers' compensation insurance purposes unless they meet all requirements in the law, as described in L&I's Independent Contractor Guide.

Safety and health rules apply to independent contractors, even if you're not required to pay workers' compensation premiums, if the contract involves primarily personal labor. See definitions of "employer" and "employee" in the Washington Industrial Safety and Health Act, RCW 49.17.020 (4) and (5) (

While the laws are different, if your independent contractors can meet the legal test for exemption from workers' compensation requirements, they will generally also be exempt from wage and hour* and Prevailing Wage** requirements (see *RCW 49.46 (; **RCW 39.12.100 (

My business has (or will have) employees.

  1. Comply with safety and health requirements for your workplace:
  2. Meet all of your workers' comp insurance requirements:
  3. Know your requirements in the event of a workplace injury:
  4. Follow all "wage and hour" laws:

My business provides construction, remodeling or repair services, or related work such as painting or installing floor coverings, OR develops property, or fixes up and then sells ("flips") homes, or manages or consults on construction or landscaping projects.

Most activities listed above require contractor registration. If you're not sure if your specific business activity does, email or call 1-800-647-0982.

Contractors must:

My business works with low or high voltage wiring, or installs or maintains electrically powered equipment.

Some examples:

  • Installs wiring for computers, audio/visual equipment, alarm systems
  • Installs lighted fixtures or signage, solar panels, wired modular office panels
  • Uses custom designed or modified electrically powered equipment

If your business works with low or high voltage wiring, or installs or maintains electrically powered equipment:

My business has an elevator, escalator, moving walk, or other type of conveyance equipment.

If your business has conveyance equipment, such as an elevator, escalator, dumbwaiter, belt manlift, automobile parking elevator, moving walk, or other elevating devices, you must have it inspected and permitted.

Follow any machine guarding requirements that apply, in addition to basic worker safety and health requirements.

My business uses compressed air systems, boilers, or other pressurized tanks or vessels.

If your business uses pressurized equipment, you must have each pressurized tank or vessel inspected and permitted. Tanks under 5 cubic feet, or 37.5 gallons, are exempt.

My business uses, builds, or modifies mobile food or medical facilities, modular or portable buildings, trailers, RVs, manufactured homes, or other similar structures.

If your business uses, builds, repairs, modifies, or remodels factory-assembled structures, you must have each structure permitted and inspected.


  • Food or concession vans, trucks or trailers
  • Mobile medical facilities
  • Modular or portable buildings
  • Shelters, enclosures, or similar structures containing electrical or mechanical equipment
  • Trailers used as temporary or portable buildings
  • RVs or recreational park trailers
  • Manufactured or mobile homes (including installation)

I want to know about other requirements that may apply to my business.

See the Washington Small Business Guide (

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve