Boiler Training & Certification

Boiler Inspector Exams, Certification & Training

All boiler/pressure vessel inspectors working in the State of Washington are required to have a "work card" issued by the Department of Labor & Industries.

To be eligible for a "work card," the inspector must:


Boiler Exams

Washington State Exams are administered upon request. For exam scheduling and information, please contact the Boiler Program's Administrative Assistant at 360-902-5271.  Applications must be received 30 days prior to the test day. An examination fee will be charged.


National Board commissioned inspectors who have not worked in the State of Washington for 3 years must re-take the Washington State Examination.

National Board Inservice Commission Exams are now offered “On Demand”. The National Board has partnered with Applied Measurement Professionals (AMP) to administer a computer based examination that may generally be taken within 2-3 days following sign-up. For more information, please visit the National Board Website.


Boiler Exam and Certification Fees

  • Examination fee: A fee of $88.00 will be charged for each applicant sitting for an inspection examination(s).
  • Special inspector commission: An initial fee of $47.50 (including work card).
    • Total Due: $135.50 (exam and work card fee).
      • This amount must be paid before the exam. Payment can be made at the Labor & Industries office, online, or mailed and received by our office before the exam date.
      • If paid at a service location, or online, please retain a copy of the receipt and send it to us prior to the exam.
  • Annual special inspector commission: A fee of $29.50 for annual renewal.
  • If a special inspector changes companies: A work card fee of $47.50 will be charged.


Boiler Operator Licensing Information

A Boiler Operator's license is not required for individuals who operate boilers in the state of Washington. However, a valid boiler operator's license is required for:

  • City of Seattle - 206-684-5174.
  • City of Spokane - 509-625-6313.
  • City of Tacoma - call Bates Technical College at 253-680-7400.
  • Companies/facilities that have internal boiler operator licensing requirements - refer to your cpmpany's policies.





See also

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve