Rule Development

2019 Emergency Rule

Temporary Electrician Permits and Reciprocal Agreements

L&I has filed an emergency rule to issue temporary electrician permits in lieu of certificates of competency for electricians coming to work in Washington State from another state and establish rules for reciprocal agreements. No reciprocal agreements are in place at this time.

The emergency rule — WAC 296-46B-939 — is in effect for 120 days. The agency is moving to respond to our customers' need for electricians as allowed by RCW 19.28.231 while not diminishing the safety of electrical installations.

For more information or to apply, contact L&I's Electrical Program at 360-902-5249 or

The following are the rulemaking documents:


2019 WAC 296-46B Rule Changes

We have adopted changes to the Electrical Rules of WAC 296-46B which will become effective August 23, 2019. Recently passed legislation is the main reason we opened the rules for revision. In August 2018, we notified everyone in a Special Edition Electrical Currents newsletter about how they could be involved and help us write the rules. We accepted rule change proposals and asked for volunteers to serve on a Technical Advisory Committee (TAC).

The proposed rule changes update and clarify existing rules, implement new legislation, adopt the 2020 National Electrical Code (effective July 1, 2020) and 2017 National Electrical Safety Code by reference, and make housekeeping and other changes to the rules including provisions to allow electrical certificate of competency reciprocity agreements with other states. The proposed changes are based on advice received from the TAC and Electrical Board.

For more details about the process, see the August 2018 Special Edition Electrical Currents newsletter (221 KB PDF).

Rulemaking documents


More information about electrical laws and rules:

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve