Man wearing hard hat, gloves and eye protection carries a box of explosives next to a truck with a sign labeled 'explosives'Explosives have many important uses in mining, quarrying, construction and demolition, avalanche control, manufacturing, fire fighting, law enforcement, entertainment industry, pyrotechnics (fireworks), logging, agriculture, and even medicine to fracture kidney and gall stones.

Both federal and state licensing regulations are in place to ensure protection for the general public, a safe workplace for users of explosives, and to prevent illegal use and misuse of explosives. For example, if you manufacture, sell, purchase, store, or blast with explosives, you will need a Washington State explosives license.  You will also need a federal license, issued by ATF, if you are a non-government entity that manufactures, imports, sells, purchases, uses or handles, or stores explosives.

Along with licensing requirements, employers must meet applicable workplace safety and health requirements at the job site. These requirements are established to prevent injuries and illnesses caused by explosives and other safety hazards at work.

Request an explosives licensing packet by phone at 360-902-5563 or e-mail at ExplosivesLicensing@lni.wa.gov.  Please specify the type of explosive license requested.

Note: Fees decrease effective October 1, 2016. See the notification from L&I for more information (25 KB PDF).

Related Topics

More help from L&I

For general information, call 1-800-423-7233.

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

  © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve