Talkie-Tooters (Logging Radios)

"Talkie Tooter" Permits (Radio Signaling for the Logging Industry)

Q: Do I have to have a permit to operate a radio signaling system for the logging industry in the state of Washington?
A: Yes, everyone who uses a radio signaling system in the logging industry in the state of Washington must have a permit issued by the Department of Labor & Industries.

Q: How long does it take to get a permit?
A: Typically, it takes one business day.

How to get a Radio Signaling Permit for the logging industry

You may request an application for a permit by calling 360-902-5563, email or by downloading this application:
Application for Permit to Operate Radio Signal System (for the logging industry) in Designated Area (F416-087-000).

Regulation & Policy

  • WAC 296-54-604 - Safety Standards for Logging Operations: Radio Signaling Permits.


Expand or collapse. Please read an important message about links on this page.


"Links" to other information sources are provided as a courtesy, but we cannot vouch for or take responsibility for information contained beyond files administered by the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries. Links from this page do not represent or imply the endorsement of commercial products by the State of Washington, Labor and Industries, or by departmental staff. For more information, read L&I's Intended Usage policy.

More help from L&I

For general information, call 1-800-423-7233.

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

  © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.