Site Alert

The Provider Directory has been restored, but has limited functionality. We are working to repair the missing features. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Well Drillers

Well drillers, pump and irrigation contractors must get both plumbing and electrical licenses

2006 Washington State legislation now requires that all contractors and workers doing pump and piping work on domestic water systems and irrigation water systems get both plumbing and electrical licenses. The new state law does not allow anyone to place an electric pump motor in a well, or do the associated electrical or plumbing work, without a proper license.

The new law (RCW 19.28, 18.27 and 18.106) creates a combined General Contractor and Electrical Contractor Specialty Licensing/Registration license that will enable those in either the Domestic Pump or the Pump and Irrigation systems business to perform this work under a single license, bond and insurance coverage, and renew that license. Combination General Contractor and Electrical Contractor Specialty Licensing/Registration can only be created for those companies and workers in the pump and irrigation or domestic pump business.

For businesses and individuals working in this industry, the law change will significantly change the way business is performed. To consult with an individual on how this law could affect your business, contact Bruce Springer at 360-902-4768 or at

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve