Site Alert

Our secure systems will be unavailable due to system maintenance Tuesday, Sept. 17, from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Hiring Teens

Verify That a Business Can Hire Teens

Businesses are required to have a Minor Work Permit in order to hire teens younger than 18. Use the Department of Revenue's "Business Lookup" ( to look up a business license and verify that it has a Minor Work Permit endorsement.

Enter the business’ name or UBI number to start a search. After selecting a business from the search results, the words “Minor Work Permit” should appear on the left side of its “License detail” page, as pictured below. If you do not see these words, the employer is not authorized to hire teens younger than 18.

Look for "Minor Work Permit" in a business's "License Detail" page.

Image of Minor Work Permit

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve