L&I News

See more More news releases

January 28, 1999

Builders need permit to alter manufactured, mobile homes

TUMWATER -- The state is reminding all parties associated with the construction, selling and insuring of manufactured housing and mobile homes that specific laws apply to alterations made to these structures.

The state Department of Labor & Industries is issuing reminders that a permit must be issued before alterations are made to a manufactured or mobile home. Labor & Industries must also inspect and approve any alteration work.

Problems could also develop with potential insurance payments if an altered manufactured or mobile home is damaged or destroyed and has not been inspected and had an insignia installed by Labor & Industries.

Examples of alterations that require Labor & Industries approval are:

    • Heat pump/air-conditioning installations.
    • Wood stove/pellet stove/gas stove installations.
    • Changing appliances from electric to gas.
    • Electrical changes.
    • Structural changes or additions.
    • Re-roofing and siding.

A contractor who performs the work must be registered in Washington. Information about a contractor's status is available by calling 1-800-647-0982, or at their web site.

Labor & Industries oversees the manufactured housing and mobile home industry in Washington. The department urges all parties involved in this type of housing to contact the nearest Labor & Industries office before alterations are made. L&I employees in the factory-assembled structures section can provide assistance with obtaining permits, inspections and answering questions.

More information is available by contacting John Harvey, Chief of Factory-Assembled Structures, 360-902-5218.


End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

© Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.