L&I News

See more More news releases

September 13, 2001

Safety conference to recognize 43 with lifesaving and humanitarian awards

TUMWATER - Twenty-two Bethell junior high school students are alive today thanks in large part to the heroics of their school bus driver, Cheryl Mooring of Spanaway. Mooring is one of 43 Washington residents being honored for their bravery at this year's Governor's Industrial Safety and Health Conference in Seattle.

In all, 19 people will be given lifesaving awards. Another 23 will receive humanitarian awards for their role in helping people in peril. In addition, a special lifesaving award will be presented posthumously to Kristopher Kime, who was killed while coming to the aid of a woman during last Mardi Gras riot in Pioneer Square. Kime's award will be given to his mother, Kim Kime-Parks, who will attend this year's conference.

This year's recipients are from the communities of Arlington, Auburn, Bellevue, Camano Island, Castle Rock, Colville, Elk, Federal Way, Granite Falls, Langley, Marysville, North Bend, Olympia, Othello, Puyallup, Seattle, Spanaway, Spokane, Tacoma, Tukwila and Wenatchee.

The 50th Industrial Safety and Health Conference will be held September 26 and 27 at the Washington State Convention and Trade Center. Up to 4,000 people are expected to attend. The conference, which dates back to 1949, is co-sponsored by the Governor's Industrial Safety and Health Advisory Board and the Department of Labor & Industries.

Mooring was driving 22 students to school when another vehicle crossed over the center line and struck the school bus head-on. The driver of the other vehicle was killed and Mooring was pinned in the driver's seat, her leg and an eye badly cut by glass. Despite her injuries, Mooring freed herself and then made her way through billowing smoke, finding every student and making sure they got off the bus before it was engulfed in flames.

The others receiving lifesaving and humanitarian awards are:


Margaret Marion, Arlington; Dan Krewson, Camano Island and John Edwards, Granite Falls: Lifesaving awards are presented to these three Snohomish County residents for saving the life of Ed Petrin, a co-worker at Bayliner Yachts/U.S. Marine. The three recognized that Petrin had suffered a heart attack and immediately put their emergency response team training into practice, performing CPR for more than 10-minutes until paramedics arrived.

Kirk Copeland, North Bend: An employee of Lakeside Industries, Copeland was on break when he heard the sound of a car crash. He and a co-worker sprinted to the scene, where they found the driver of the overturned dump truck dead and a 12-year-old boy face down in the mud and not breathing. While the co-worker went for an ambulance, Copeland cleared the victim's airway and the boy began breathing. Copeland treated the boy for shock and kept him immobilized until the ambulance arrived.

Bill Stanley, Seattle: Though Jim Bearden told bystanders he was okay, Stanley didn't believe him when he got up from breakfast and headed for his hotel room in Moses Lake. Stanley, an employee of Aerospace Machinists Industrial District Lodge 751, followed Bearden out of the restaurant and found him collapsed and turning blue from lack of oxygen. Stanley administered chest compression numerous times to keep him breathing until paramedics arrived.

Cyndi MacKenzie, Wenatchee: Ken Haskins was taking a lunch break from his job at Chelan-Douglas Developmental Services when he started choking. MacKenzie, a training supervisor, noticed the symptoms and performed the Heimlich maneuver, dislodging the food from his throat.

Ted Riley, Tukwila: An employee at the Department of Labor & Industries, Riley noticed when a co-worker, Frank Gavaldon, couldn't breathe. Riley immediately administered an abdominal thrust, dislodging a piece of apple from Gavaldon's throat.

Dan Gigler, Spokane: Steve Orvik, an employee at Avista Corp., was eating a piece of licorice when it became lodged in his throat. He signaled co-workers that he was choking. Gigler recognized the sign and on the second try, dislodged the candy from his throat using the Heimlich maneuver.

Mike Sogura, Federal Way: Despite having a cold, Steven Hoye was at his job in one of Boeing's paint hangers. He was wearing a respirator and breathing through his mouth when a piece of the respirator broke off and lodged in his throat. Standing nearby, Mike Sogura saw Hoye clutching his throat and immediately performed the Heimlich maneuver. His quick action forced the piece of respirator from Hoye's throat, allowing him to breathe.

Angela Haskell, Olympia: Kathy Cuilan was eating a granola bar when a piece of it stuck in her throat and she began choking. Fortunately, Angela Haskell, an employee at the Department of Labor & Industries, acted quickly and dislodged the obstacle from Cuilan's throat using the Heimlich maneuver.

Laura Lambert, Elk (Spokane County): A babysitting first aid class as a Girl Scout and a health and first aid class at Riverside High School paid off when Lambert saved the life of Donavan Boegli. Lambert was visiting with her best friend when she noticed that her friend's infant son was choking. She immediately removed the baby from the stroller and stuck her fingers into his mouth and struck him on the back, dislodging a paper wad. This was Lambert's second lifesaving experience. Earlier in the year, while working at Granny's Restaurant in Spokane, she noticed a customer was choking and quickly administered sharp blows to his back, dislodging the food.

Robin Knapp, Puyallup: Rachel Wade and her daughter were driving on Highway 410 when their car hit a patch of snow and slid into a ditch. While Wade was checking for damage, a second car slid off the road and struck her's, pinning her beneath her car. Robin Knapp, a meter reader for Puget Sound Energy, first tried to lift the vehicle off Wade, and then enlisted the help of two young men. After they had freed Wade, Knapp checked her vital signs and discovered she wasn't breathing. Fearing she had a spinal injury, he carefully tilted her head back far enough to see a clot of blood in her mouth. He cleared her airway and treated her for shock until aid arrived.

Randy Walschaert, Auburn, and Ray Russell, Bellevue: Jerry Campbell was dumping garbage at the Houghton Transfer Station when he stopped breathing. Randy Walschaert and Ray Russell, both employees of King County Solid Waste, noticed he was in trouble and ran over to check his vital signs. Campbell had no pulse or respiration. The two workers immediately started CPR and had Campbell breathing again by the time medics arrived.

Kristi Daniels, Spokane: This North Spokane Community Social Worker was conducting a home visit when she heard an explosion. Her client's two boys were playing in the basement when the fire broke out. Both were burned and suffering from smoke inhalation. She led the boys and other family members from the home and treated the boys for shock before taking them to a hospital. So involved was she in their treatment that she didn't realize that she, too, had been burned.

Ron Thorp, Langley: Ron was visiting a friend at an Everett motel when he heard a cry for help. He ran to investigate and found two men shaking a 2-year-old girl who had stopped breathing. The girl had been found floating face down in the pool. Thorp and one of the motel's housekeepers immediately administered CPR and revived the child. Thorp has since started a CPR training program at Eldec. The housekeeper could not be located.

Rosemary Martinez, Seattle: Rosemary, a caseworker in the Belltown Community Services office, was interviewing a client when the building started shaking from an earthquake. She was carrying a baby down a stairwell when she heard a loud noise and saw a light fixture falling toward the baby. Rosemary quickly placed herself between the fixture and the baby and was struck by the light, injuring her shoulder and arm. The baby was unharmed.

William Black, Colville: An equipment operator with the Department of Natural Resources, Black received a call in October that a small plane had gone down in a heavily wooded area in the mountains outside Conconully in Okanogan County. He initiated an emergency response on his way to the crash scene. When he arrived, he found two people badly in need of medical attention. He performed first aid and then coordinated their evacuation to a nearby hospital.


Chris Hodson, Tacoma: Carol Ann Moore was feeling ill and was preparing to leave her office at Parkland Light & Water when her supervisor, Chris Hodson, recognized she had the symptoms of a heart attack. Hodson prevented Moore from leaving work, notified paramedics and then treated her for shock until they arrived.

Jill Swanson, Othello: Jill Swanson, an employee in the Community Service Office of the Department of Social and Health Services in Othello, noticed smoke coming from another section of the building and went to investigate. She found the fire, notified the fire department, evaculated the rest of the building and then extinguished the fire before it could spread.

Bill Fisher, Colville: A man and woman were trying to save personal belongings from a wildfire that was threatening to burn the woman's house. When Bill Fisher, a Washington State Department of Natural Resources employee, noticed the pair hadn't heeded his warning to evacuate he risked his own life to go back for them. At times the fire was burning on both sides of the road within arms reach. Fisher found them and led them to safety. Within minutes of their departure, the entire area was in flames.

Jerry Weible, Puyallup: This Division of Child Support Services employee was returning from lunch when he noticed a co-worker looking out a third-story window. Curious about what the worker found so interesting, Weible looked out the window and saw a man trying to open a locked maintenance gate. Failing at that, the man started to climb the fence. Weible noticed the man was carrying a white cane and realized he was blind. He yelled for someone to call security and then ran down the steps. By the time he reached the fence, the blind man had scaled it and was only a few feet from stepping into traffic. Instead of stopping or slowing down, drivers were yelling profanities at the man. Weible yelled for the man to stop and then helped him back over the fence. The man explained that he had exited the building from the wrong side and had become confused.

Mikayla Whitley, Marysville: Michael Wyant was rock climbing with friends when he injured his leg. The two friends went for help and Wyant got on his hand-held radio and called for assistance. The person who heard him was Mikayla Whitley, the 11-year-old daughter of William Whitley, a Boeing Health and Safety Institute program manager. Whitley was sitting on her porch playing with a low-range radio when she heard the call for help. She informed her mother of the situation, who then notified the sheriff's office. Mikayla spent the rest of the afternoon relaying information back and forth between Michael and his rescuers.

Department of Natural Resources Team. All members are from Castle Rock. They are Ann Wickman, Jon Paul Anderson, Joe Shramek, Denise Placer, Fred Hart, Jim Shank, Steve Hartsell, Jim English, Chris Johnson, Eric Wisch, Mary Robertson, Mark Ratcliff, Tony Sackett, Tami Riepe, Rayedene Printz, Brian Poehlein, Terri Lysak and Florian Diesenhofer: On the morning of June 27, a microburst with wind speeds of nearly 50 mph, lightning and heavy rain struck the west end of the Yale Reservoir on the Lewis River. Two girls, Janice Van Hoozer and Kayla Yuresto, were running from the riverbank when a falling tree struck them both. Janice was knocked unconscious and suffered a severe head injury. Yuresto was conscious, but was cut and bruised and suffered injuries to her back. Relatives of the girls moved them to a nearby road in an attempt to get help, but the road was blocked. Employees from the Department of Natural Resources were on a field inspection visit about a quarter of a mile away. When they were informed of the accident they organized themselves into a rescue effort using an incident command system. They worked closely to stabilize the victims and then cleared down trees to allow emergency medical services access to the injured girls, who were evaculated and are recovering.


Kristopher Kime of Des Moines: A Special Lifesaving Award is presented in the memory of Kristopher Kime, who disregarded his own safety to help another in a time of need. Kime was attending the Fat Tuesday Mardi Gras party in Pioneer Square when he came upon a woman on the ground who was being kicked and beaten by a group of men. Kime positioned himself between the victim and the assailants, one of whom quickly turned on him and began striking him with his fists. Kime fell to the ground and struck his head, resulting in a fatal injury. As an organ donor, Kime's organs were transplanted into the bodies of eight individuals.


End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

© Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.