Volunteers and Workers' Comp Coverage


Reporting volunteer hours for workers' compensation coverage

In 2016, the legislature added a reporting option for employers covering volunteers for workers' compensation coverage. The law took effect on June 9, 2016.

What changed for employers reporting their volunteers?

All entities reporting volunteers for medical aid coverage only may report either:

  • 100 hours per volunteer per calendar year, or
  • Actual hours worked for all volunteers each quarter.

Employers must report all their volunteers using the same method.

Who can choose the 100-hour cap reporting method?

Employers may use this reporting method if they are reporting in:

  • Classification 6901 for volunteers or student volunteers, or
  • Classification 6906 for volunteer law enforcement

This includes state agencies that are required to provide volunteer coverage, as well as entities that may elect optional volunteer coverage.

How and when can I choose the 100-hour cap reporting method?

If you have either classification 6901 or 6906 active on your account you will choose your method for reporting volunteers on your first quarterly report of the year, either the 100 hours cap or actual hours.

If I choose the 100-hour cap reporting method, how and when will I report my volunteers?

You will report all your volunteers in the same quarter when you choose the 100-hour cap reporting method. If you add volunteers in subsequent quarters that same calendar year, you will report 100 hours for each new volunteer in the quarter those new volunteers start with you.

You must use the same method of reporting all volunteers for the whole calendar year. However, you may choose each calendar year whether to report actual hours or the 100-hour cap method. This means you may report one year using the 100-hour cap method, and the next year you may choose to report actual hours.

What if I selected the 100-hour reporting method, but I have a new volunteer who starts on December 15?

You still must report 100 hours for that volunteer for that calendar year.

What do I need to do if my organization elects to cover volunteers?

If your business or organization elects to cover volunteers, you must:

  • Cover all your volunteers and notify them of coverage.
  • Choose whether to report all volunteers based on actual hours or based on 100 hours per volunteer per calendar year.
  • Report and pay premiums for either all volunteer hours worked, or for 100 hours per volunteer per calendar year.
  • Create auditable records of all volunteers and keep these records for 3 full calendar years. Records must include:
    • Names and Social Security numbers.
    • Registration and acceptance of each person as a volunteer for your organization.
    • Beginning and end date of volunteer service.
    • Applicable risk classifications (likely 6901 or 6906).
    • Actual hours worked, or your decision to report 100 hours per volunteer per calendar year.
    • For student volunteers and unpaid students:
      • Proof of registration showing the student's current enrollment in school or an institution of higher education.
      • Authorization from the school or institution of higher education for the student's participation in the school's volunteer or unpaid work-based learning program.

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve