Protest with L&I

How employers file a protest about workers' compensation premiums with L&I

A protest is also known as a "request for reconsideration."

What you need to do

Send a letter requesting a reconsideration to the Revenue Officer (RO) that is listed on the document you are protesting or send a letter to any L&I office. Your request should include:

  • The reasons why you disagree with the L&I decision.
  • The Notice and Order of Assessment number.
  • Your L&I account number.
  • The address and phone number where you can be easily reached.
  • Your business name and address.

Don't mail a request for reconsideration to the Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals.

L&I staff will

  • Send you a letter setting an appointment to meet with you in person or discuss the issues by telephone.
  • Make a decision based on information you provide and notify you.

If you still disagree with the decision

You may file an appeal with the Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals (BIIA).

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve