Report Hazards or Unsafe Work

There are several ways to report safety & health concerns in the workplace. You may:

You may choose to remain anonymous when filing a safety complaint. Or you may request confidentiality when you provide your name and contact information.

  • Bring it to the attention of the employer, a supervisor or manager, safety committee or union representative to fix the problem.
  • Contact your local L&I office or 1-800-423-7233.
  • Mail, fax, or hand deliver a completed complaint form to any L&I office.

    NOTE: If you see a worker in immediate danger, contact L&I at 1-800-423-7233.

If you contact L&I, at a minimum you will need to provide:

  • Your name & contact information (you may request anonymity or confidentiality for safety complaints).
  • Name of the employer (if known, or a description of the business).
  • Address/location of the workplace hazard.
  • Description of the hazard.

When L&I receives your complaint or referral, L&I will:

  • Review the information and determine the appropriate action. You may be contacted for additional information.
  • Inform you of any action taken if you provide your contact information.
  • Give you the option of receiving a copy of the inspection results if an inspection occurs.

For more detailed information see:

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve