Amusement Ride Safety & Inspections

Amusement Ride Inspector Certification

Get a list of qualified amusement ride safety inspectors.

Washington State requires amusement ride inspectors to be certified and meet certain minimum qualifications before inspecting and approving rides operated in the state.

Minimum Qualifications

Amusement ride inspectors must meet at least one of these minimum qualifications:

  • 2 years' experience with an insurance company as an amusement ride inspector, or
  • 2 years' experience inspecting amusement rides and enforcing amusement ride codes while employed by a state or other governmental agency regulating amusement rides, or
  • At least 5 years of documented field experience operating and maintaining amusement rides, including assembly, disassembly, and supervising personnel who setup, maintain, and operate rides, or
  • At least 10 years of documented practical experience in design, construction, maintenance, repair, field inspection, and operation of amusement rides as an authorized representative of an established amusement ride manufacturer.

See WAC 296-403A-170 for full details.


To be eligible for certification, inspectors must demonstrate their competency by passing a Level II amusement ride inspector examination administered by the National Association of Amusement Ride Safety Officials (NARRSO).


To become a Certified Amusement Ride Inspector:

Once your application is approved, L&I will send you a certificate that is valid for one year, that allows you to perform safety inspections for amusement ride operators.


To renew your Amusement Ride Inspector certification, you must:

  • Attend at least one amusement ride safety and maintenance seminar sponsored by AIMS, IAAPA, NW Showman's Club, NAARSO, or another equivalent seminar approved by L&I.
  • Complete and send your renewal form along with your:
    • Seminar attendance verification.
    • $20 renewal fee (check or money order).

Mail your application to:

Department Labor & Industries Electrical Program
PO Box 44460
Olympia, WA 98504-4460

We must receive your application for renewal before your expiration date to avoid a lapse in your certification.

To operate rides in Washington State, you must have an operating permit for each ride. Electrical permits and inspections are required for temporary power installations for rides, concessions, etc.

For more information


End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve