Site Alert

Our secure systems will be unavailable due to system maintenance Tuesday, Sept. 17, from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Food Trucks & Trailers


If you have a food truck or trailer, we must inspect it before you start your business. Use this page to determine if you have a food truck or trailer, and follow the steps outlined to get an inspection.


Do You Have a Food Truck?

Answer Yes or No to the following questions:

  • Will you sell food or other items from the truck/trailer at temporary sites?
  • Is the truck/trailer licensed as a vehicle?
  • Do people work inside?
  • Do customers stand on the outside (and not go inside)?
  • Does it have at least one of the following:
    • Electrical system 120v or greater.
    • Water or drain system.
    • Propane gas piping system.
  • Is the truck/trailer no more than 8.5 feet wide?

If you answered "Yes" to all the questions above, you have a food truck or trailer. Check to see if you must submit plans Go to Step 2.

If you answered "No" to any of the questions, you may have another type of unit that may require L&I approval. For example:

Note: Be sure to check with all local building departments where you plan to use your unit. Some building departments may not allow the use of food trucks / trailers in their jurisdiction. You may be required to have a commercial coach in that jurisdiction.

Step 2 - see if you need to submit plans


End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve