Food Trucks & Trailers

Depending on the equipment you use on your food truck or trailer, you may need to submit plans for approval before scheduling an inspection. Answer the questions below to see if you need to submit plans to us.


Do You Need To Submit Plans?

Answer Yes or No to the following questions.

Do you have:

  • Commercial cooking equipment, such as a deep fryer, stove, or oven, which will require a commercial-grade ventilation hood and — in many cases — a fire suppression system? (This does not include espresso machines and other small, plug-in electrical appliances.)
  • Cooking equipment that uses solid fuels such as wood or charcoal?
  • A propane (or other fuel gas) piping system?
  • An electrical system more than 30 amps, more than 120 volts, or more than five (5) circuits?
  • A source of alternate energy such as a photovoltaic system, or fuel cells?
  • A bathroom or other plumbing for bodily waste?
  • Does any individual piece of equipment weigh more than 500 pounds?

If you answered “Yes” to any of the questions, you need to submit plans to L&I and have them approved, before an inspection can take place. Go to Step 3.

If you answered “No” to all of the questions, then you do not need to submit plans. You still need an inspection for your vehicle. Skip to Step 4.

Step 3 - submit plans or Step 4 - inspection only


End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve