Purpose of This Policy
The Washington State Department of Labor & Industries (L&I) recognizes that "External Content" — content that is provided by entities that are not part of government — may be included in the publicly accessible website, www.lni.wa.gov, (the “Site”) operated by L&I.
L&I does not intend that this Site be an open public forum, and External Content on pages operated by L&I will be permitted at the sole discretion of L&I.
This policy applies only to pages that are operated by L&I. This policy is not intended, and shall not be construed, to prohibit external content that:
- Is required or authorized by law.
- Constitutes official government business.
- Furthers the specific purpose of a government organization's web page.
- Is on web pages not operated by L&I.
It may be in the public interest to include on the Site:
- Links to resources that are provided by others on websites outside of L&I's control.
- Public acknowledgement of sponsors or other contributors of resources to allow L&I to expand the online information and services.
- External content therefore includes, but is not limited to, links or acknowledgements on pages operated by L&I.
Guidelines for Allowing Web Content From Non-L&I Sources
In exercising its discretion to allow external (non-L&I) content on its Site, L&I is guided by the purpose of the Site:
This Site is intended to support, as efficiently, conveniently and cost effectively as possible, and in a manner of presentation befitting government, the following uses by citizens, businesses, and public employees:
- Location of and access to useful public information provided by public agencies or non-profit, non-partisan organizations.
- Location of websites provided by public agencies or non-profit, non-partisan organizations.
- Location of public services.
- Delivery of public services via the internet.
L&I, at its sole discretion, will determine whether external content meets these purposes. Generally, external content that does not suit these purposes includes, but is not limited to, content that contains, suggests, or infers any of the following:
- Advocacy of or opposition to any politically, environmentally, or socially controversial subjects, issues, or candidates.
- Disparaging or promoting any person or class of people.
- External content not suitable for readers or viewers of all ages, or links to or other promotion of businesses whose products or services are not suitable for persons of all ages.
- Promoting or inciting illegal, violent, or socially undesirable conduct.
- Promotion or availability of alcohol or tobacco products.
- Promotion or availability of illegal drugs.
- Promotion or availability of adult or sexually oriented entertainment or materials.
- Promotion, opposition, or availability of weapons.
- Promotion, opposition, or availability of gambling.
- Content that infringes on any trademark, copyright, or patent rights of another.
- Claims or representations in violation of advertising or consumer protection and privacy protection laws.
- Content that a reasonable citizen may not consider to maintain the dignity and decorum appropriate for a government agency.
- Claims of efficacy, suitability, desirability, or other non-objective statements about businesses, products, or services.
Removal of Non-L&I Content
L&I reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to withdraw external content that otherwise meets its guidelines. This discretion may be exercised if L&I becomes aware, receives claims or allegations, or has reason to inquire whether the content refers or links the viewer to content not on L&I’s Site that either violates any of the above listed guidelines, except the last one, or would be reasonably likely to offend a reasonable citizen. Withdrawal of content on these bases will be permitted whether or not L&I is legally obligated to act upon any information of which it is aware.
L&I Not Responsible for Content on Websites Linked From the Site
Links to non-L&I websites are provided as a courtesy to customers when L&I considers that external web content to be useful and valuable to the public. However, we cannot vouch or take responsibility for information contained on websites not administered by L&I.
References in this Site, links from this Site to any specific commercial products, processes, or services, or the use of any trade, firm, or corporation name is for the information and convenience of visitors to this Site and doesn't constitute endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the L&I or its officers, employees, or agents.
Linking to L&I's Site
Other websites are welcome to provide links to this Site, as long as it’s not to copyrighted information, and as long as it's done in a way that's consistent with our mission and goals. (We do have a few items that are copyrighted.)
Please send a note to the webmaster at WebFeedback@Lni.wa.gov about which page(s) you link to, so we will know what pages you have found useful.
While links to our Site are allowed by this policy, use of the L&I logo is not. Other websites are not authorized to display the L&I logo.
Thanks for visiting L&I.