Next Worker Memorial Day:
Thursday, April 25, 2024
Worker Memorial Day 2024
L&I's 2024 Worker Memorial Day ceremony will take place April 25 at 2 p.m. The ceremony will be held virtually for public viewing and in person for invited guests.
Worker Memorial Day events occur in communities and work sites across the country and around the world to honor the men and women who have died due to job-related injuries and illnesses.
Past Worker Memorial Day Events
Since 2010, families have been invited to provide a photo and a few words about their loved one for use in a commemorative pamphlet.
- 2023 Worker Memorial Day Program
- Día de Conmemoración de los Trabajadores 2023 (Spanish version)
- News release: Washington honors 129 at Worker Memorial Day ceremony
- Video of the 2023 ceremony
- 2022 Worker Memorial Day Program
- News release: COVID-19 deaths, construction fatalities among largest groups of fallen workers to be honored at April 28 Worker Memorial Day ceremony
- Video of the 2022 ceremony
- 2021 Worker Memorial Day Program
- News release: COVID-19 victims among the fallen workers to be honored in April 28 ceremony
- Video of the 2021 ceremony
- 2020 Worker Memorial Day Program
- News release: Remembering workers who sacrificed their lives — L&I encourages moment of silence for lost workers and those on the front lines
- Ceremony not held due to COVID-19
History of Worker Memorial Day
A day honoring workers who have died from job-related injuries or illnesses has been observed in the United States since 1989.
The date, April 28, was set as it is when the US Occupational Safety and Health Administration was created. Today, Worker Memorial Day is observed around the world.
L&I has observed Worker Memorial Day since 1990 and, in 1993, conducted a special ceremony to mark the day.
In 1998, Labor & Industries planted a Worker Memorial Garden. A brass bell sculpture, donated by the Washington State Building and Construction Trades Council, was installed in the garden in 2007. Family members are invited to ring the bell at the conclusion of the Worker Memorial Day ceremony in remembrance of their loved one.
A book is maintained in the lobby of the L&I Tumwater building with the names of all workers who have died from a workplace injury or illness.
Other Worker Memorial Day Events in the State
If you have a Worker Memorial Day event you would like to list here, email EyeOnSafety@Lni.wa.gov.
- Worker Memorial Day Ceremony at the University of Washington
- April 26, 2023, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Keynote address: Climate Justice and Worker Justice