Consider these specialized programs to help your client regain their ability to go back to work. If your client may benefit from these programs, consult with the attending provider and/or claim manager.
Pain management programs
Structured intensive multidisciplinary programs (SIMP) help workers cope effectively with chronic pain so they can:
- Recover function.
- Reduce or eliminate disability.
- Improve the quality of their lives.
Work hardening programs
Work hardening includes real or simulated work tasks, conditioning exercises, and education. The goal is to restore physical, behavioral, and vocational abilities so workers can return to work.
Best practices for vocational providers
Vocational provider can assist by using the following best practices.
- Before the program begins, provide a job analysis/description for the job goal.
- Maintain regular interaction and address barriers.
- Assist with development of job modifications when needed.
- Facilitate a transition back to work upon completion of the program.