Option 2 Vocational Services Question and Answers
- Help in accessing available community services to assist the worker with reentering the workforce.
- Assistance in developing a training plan.
- Coaching and guidance as requested by the worker.
- Interests and skills assessment, if the worker requests or agrees it is needed to reach the worker’s training or employment goals.
- Other services directly related to vocational counseling, such as job readiness and interview practice.
- Help in developing an action plan for return to work.
- Job development, including contacting potential employers on the worker’s behalf.
- Job search assistance.
- Job application assistance.
- Help in obtaining employment as a preferred worker, if certified, up to and including educating the employer on preferred worker incentives.
- Other services directly related to job placement, such as targeted resume development and referral to community resources (WorkSource).
- A credentialed vocational rehabilitation provider who meets the qualifications in WAC 296-19A-210 and obtains a provider number from L&I. Interns cannot provide Option 2 services.
- A public sector organization that provides vocational services, such as WorkSource.
- Travel or wait time.
- Completing the Option 2 Vocational Services Summary form.
- Time remaining under Option 2; Option 2 is available to the worker for up to 5 years after the Option 2 approval.
- Funds available for Option 2 vocational counseling and job placement services. Available funds will depend on how much the worker has already spent.
Vocational counseling may include:
Job placement services may include:
L&I or the self-insured employer pays the vocational provider from the worker’s Option 2 benefits in response to appropriately submitted billings.
You must charge for services in billable hour increments as listed in L&I’s current vocational services Billing & Payment Policies Chapter 30: Vocational Services.
You cannot bill for:
In addition, you may not bill the worker directly for services.
Yes, you can provide Option 2 services and bill for them after claim closure, as long as the worker has sufficient:
Reminder: You must send your bill within 1 year of the date of service.
For L&I-insured claims, the worker can sign a release allowing you to call the L&I Option 2 Specialists (360-902-9135) for this information. For self-insured claims, contact the self-insured employer or its representative.
The worker can contact the Option 2 Specialists (360-902-9135) who may refer the complaint to L&I's Private Sector Rehabilitation Services.