Coverage for longshore and harbor workers

Workers in Washington state who work in maritime occupations on or over navigable waterways may be covered by the federal Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act (LHWCA) instead of L&I. L&I doesn't administer this plan, it is administered by the US Department of Labor.

For employers

The requirement to have proper workers' compensation insurance depends on the nature of your business operations, your location and other factors. You should visit the Frequently Asked Questions at the U.S. Department of Labor website. We encourage you to talk directly with the Longshore District Office so you can explain the specifics of your worksite and employment situation.

If your workers are not covered by the LHWCA, they may be under Washington state workers’ compensation coverage.

For employees

If you think you are covered under LHWCA or have received a notice of non-coverage from L&I, you should notify the Longshore District Office.

Contact your Longshore District Office

Longshore District Office 14, Seattle
U.S. Department of Labor
300 5th Avenue, Suite 1050L
Seattle, WA 98104

Phone: 206-504-5287
Fax: 206-467-1073