Reporting volunteer hours for workers' compensation coverage

How to start coverage

Please visit Volunteers - Who Can Cover Volunteers tab for more information

Report volunteers for medical aid only coverage using one of the following methods:

  • 100 hours per volunteer per calendar year (100-hour cap), or
  • Actual hours worked for all volunteers each quarter

You must use the same method to report all volunteers.

Who can choose the 100-hour cap reporting method?

You may use the 100-hour cap method for reporting in:

  • Classification 6901 for volunteers or student volunteers, or
  • Classification 6906 for volunteer law enforcement

This includes state agencies that are required to provide volunteer coverage, as well as organizations that may elect optional volunteer coverage.

How and when can I choose the 100-hour cap reporting method?

If you have either classification 6901 or 6906 active on your account you will choose your method for reporting volunteers on your first quarterly report of the year, either the 100 hours cap or actual hours.

If I choose the 100-hour cap reporting method, how and when will I report my volunteers?

Every calendar year you report 100 hours for each volunteer in the first quarter they volunteer that year. Don’t report the same volunteer’s 100 hours more than once in a calendar year.

You must use the same method of reporting for all volunteers for the whole calendar year. However, you may choose each calendar year whether to report actual hours or the 100-hour cap method. This means you may report one year using the 100-hour cap method, and the next year you may choose to report actual hours.

What if I selected the 100-hour reporting method, but I have a new volunteer who starts on December 15?

You must report 100 hours for that volunteer for that calendar year.

What do I need to do if my organization elects to cover volunteers?

If your business or organization elects to cover volunteers, you must:

  • Cover all your volunteers and notify them of their medical aid only coverage.
  • Choose whether to report all volunteers based on actual hours or based on 100 hours per volunteer per calendar year.
  • Report and pay premiums for either actual volunteer hours worked, or for 100 hours per volunteer per calendar year.
  • Create auditable records of all volunteers and keep these records for 3 full calendar years from the date you reported the worker’s hours. Records must include:
    • Names and Social Security numbers.
    • Registration and acceptance of each person as a volunteer for your organization
    • Beginning and end date of volunteer service.
    • Applicable risk classifications (likely 6901 or 6906).
    • Actual hours worked, or your decision to report 100 hours per volunteer per calendar year.
    • For student volunteers and unpaid students:
      • Proof of registration showing the student's current enrollment in a K-12 school or an institution of higher education.
      • Authorization from the school or institution of higher education for the student's participation in the school's volunteer or unpaid work-based learning program.