Step 1: Are you eligible for a virtual electrical inspection
You must be an Electrical Contractor
- Have your employees downloaded the Skype app on their mobile device and created an account with a profile?
- Will your inspection take 15 minutes or less and not result in a final or service approval?
- Do you have all of the onsite individuals Skype and Certification information readily available? Must be a certified general journey level or specialty electrician to perform a VEI inspection. (No electrical trainees)
- Have you obtained the electrical work permit for the project you are scheduling a request to have a virtual electrical inspection?
Step 2: Use your smartphone and set up Skype
Already setup and need to schedule a virtual inspection?
Electrical Virtual Inspections - 360-902-5299
Check the inspection area to make sure your smartphone has 4G, LTE or Wi-Fi connectivity. Skype does not work well enough for inspection purposes without it. Here are other considerations to keep in mind when using a smartphone and Skype for an Inspection: Use the step-by-step guide to help you with the installation and configuration process.
- Make sure your phone is fully charged.
- Have your phone volume turned up.
- Turn off phone notifications that may interrupt Skype.*
- Use ear buds equipped with a microphone for better communication.
- Audio quality is better if nearby power tools and other equipment are not running.
- Be ready to accept Skype video call notifications at the scheduled time.
- If you do not hear from us within 5 minutes of your appointment start time, let us know at 360-902-5299.
* Notifications freeze Skype calls, making communication difficult at best. Know how to turn off phone notifications before an appointment.
Step 3: Preparing for a virtual electrical inspection
Before scheduling the inspection:
- Make sure to assess the jobsite for a safe virtual inspection and be sure there is adequate lighting.
- Have your electrician certificate and necessary tools ready. For example, you may need to carry a tape measure, a GFCI tester or have ladders or lifts available and ready if you are going to need them to get the inspection done.
- Have the entire scope of inspection visible, including listed equipment labels and all covers removed.
In general, the inspector will:
- Make sure of a good connection.
- Ask for the permit number and description of the work.
- Give a safety reminder.
- Ask to see the electrician certificate, and confirmation of the location.
- Give directions to inspect the work.
- Provide the results of the inspection.
Step 4: Scheduling a virtual electrical inspection
To schedule an appointment, have the following information ready:
On-site contact information:
- Electrician certificate number.
- Skype user ID.
- Cell phone number you used to set up Skype.
- L&I electrical permit number.
- Type of project being inspected.
- Project name.
Schedule an inspection:
You can schedule your inspection up to 30 minutes before the appointment.
Your virtual inspection appointment is your inspection request. If you cancel your appointment, an inspection request will not be entered on your behalf. Please use the Google Chrome browser to schedule your inspection.
Please do not schedule a virtual inspection if you have submitted a request for a normal field inspection for the same day.
You can cancel a scheduled request up to at least 1 hour in advance of the requested time scheduled using the link in your requested email notification reminder, or call 360-902-5299 or email VirtualElectricalInspection@Lni.wa.gov. You can reschedule the inspection when you're ready.