Provider Express Billing (PEB) is a free and secure way to submit bills electronically and receive remittances through My L&I.
There are three ways to bill electronically:
- Direct Entry using a free online form (no need to purchase software or use a clearinghouse).
- Upload billing files using your own software.
- Submit bills through a Clearinghouse.
What do I need to get started?
Direct entry allows you to submit bills using an online billing form and is ideal for providers with no billing software.
- Online form is a modified version of the CMS-1500 billing form.
- Provider and claim information are pre-loaded onto the form.
- Finalized Direct Entry bills can be adjusted or voided online.
- Can be used standalone or in addition to uploading files or billing through a clearinghouse.
Submit bills and adjustments electronically using your billing software. For this option, your software must be able to create billing files in the HIPAA Compliant 837 format.
- EDI X12 837 (5010) Professional Health Care Claim
- EDI X12 837 (5010) Institutional Health Care Claim
- Link: L&I EDI 837 Companion Guide
The L&I EDI 837 Companion Guide is specific to L&I’s business requirements for conducting electronic billing in the HIPAA 837 format and is to be used in conjunction with the ASC X12 Type 3 Technical Reports, commonly known as Implementation Guides (IG).
The Implementation Guides are copyrighted documents and can be purchased through the Washington Publishing Company. To purchase code list subscriptions call WPC: (425) 562-2245 or email WPC: email@example.com or through the ASC X12 Store at http://store.x12.org/store/
You may submit billing electronically through your clearinghouse. L&I accepts electronic billing from most commercial clearinghouses.
To get setup:
- Complete an Electronic Billing Authorization form (F248-031-000)
- Email a copy of the completed form to the Electronic Billing Unit at ebulni@Lni.wa.gov
- Or Fax the completed form to 360-902-6192
L&I produces a remittance advice for each payment cycle. The remittance advice reports on your bills that have been paid, denied, or are still in-process at the time of the payment cycle.
- A remittance advice is generated and available for all providers in a PDF document format
- Optionally, a HIPAA compliant 835 (5010) Payment Advice can be generated and routed to the provider or to the provider’s clearinghouse upon request
- The PDF remittance advice contains L&I’s Explanation of Benefits (EOB) codes
- The 835 payment advice contains HIPAA Explanation of Benefits (EOB) codes
To request an 835 Payment Advice
- To receive an 835 Payment Advice in addition to your PDF remittance advice, contact the Electronic Billing Unit at ebulni@Lni.wa.gov
- To send an 835 Payment Advice to your clearinghouse:
- Complete the Power Of Attorney for Electronic Remittance Advice form (F248-011-000)
- Email the completed form to the Electronic Billing Unit at ebulni@Lni.wa.gov
- Or fax the completed form to 360-902-6192
Frequently Asked Questions
User ID and Password for My L&I (powered by SecureAccess Washington)
- Go to the My L&I (powered by SecureAccess Washington) login screen.
- Select one of the following:
- 'Get User ID?' or
- 'Reset my password?'
- Provide your email address.
- You will receive an email with instructions.
- Be sure you have:
- Applied for the 'Provider Express Billing (PEB)' services (Add Service).
- Selected and established a 'PEB Provider' relationship (Request Access).
- For electronic billing, do not select 'Medical and Vocational Providers'
- Activated your 'PEB Provider' relationship. Log into My L&I (powered by SecureAccess Washington) and follow the instructions mailed to you in your activation letter using the Activation Code to activate your account.
- PEB may be experiencing technical difficulties. You can contact the:
- Electronic Billing Unit
- Phone: 360-902-6511
- Email: ebulni@Lni.wa.gov
- Electronic Billing Unit
- Be sure you have:
- Created an account with My L&I (powered by SecureAccess Washington).
- Activated your registration with SAW.
- The correct User ID and password (case sensitive) you registered with SAW.
- Close your browser. Open a new browser and attempt to login again.
- To determine when your bills are processed, you can view the cut off and payment schedule. Your payment will be mailed within 3 days of the payment date.
- When giving authorization to a clearinghouse to submit electronic billing on your behalf.
- When changing clearinghouse's.
- Electronic Billing Authorization form (F248-031-000). Fax the completed form to 360-902-6192.
- No, our system does not allow dual submitters.
- Each clearinghouse may assign L&I a different Payer ID. If you need a Payer ID, please contact your clearinghouse. Often, clearinghouses will post a list on their website.
- You will need to print, sign and submit the completed forms to the Office of Financial Management:
- SCAN to PDF format and EMAIL to: PayeeForms@ofm.wa.gov OR
- FAX to: (360) 664-3363 OR
- MAIL to: Statewide Payee Registration, PO Box 41450, Olympia, WA 98504-1450
- Yes. An adjustment can be submitted to a finalized bill that has been paid or partially paid. For additional adjustments information, see Getting A Payment Adjusted.
- Direct Entry Adjustments - Bills submitted via Direct entry can be adjusted through the Adjust Direct Entry Bills function. You can find instructions for adjusting a bill in the Adjust, Submit or Void a Direct Entry Bill document (F245-437-000).
- Electronic Adjustments - Any bill can be adjusted or voided via the HIPPA 837 format.
- Paper Adjustments - Any bill can be adjusted or voided by submitting a paper adjustment.
- No. The bill or adjustment cannot be deleted once you submit it.
- No, only one authorization is required for your provider group.
- The Statewide Payee Help Desk can assist with you questions about your EFT payment.
- Email address: Payeehelpdesk@watech.wa.gov
- Phone: (360) 407-8180, option 5
Effective 07/04/2020, the Office of Financial Management (OFM) manages all statewide payee registration forms, including requests to set-up, modify or cancel Direct Deposit or Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). To obtain the current forms or learn more, visit: ofm.wa.gov/payee
Note: L&I can no longer accept or forward these forms, including the Statewide Payee Registration form (F248-036-000) to OFM on the providers behalf.