Wildfire Smoke (Chapter 296-62 WAC)Stakeholder Meeting on Rulemaking
1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
Zoom Registration Link:
Due to a change in our platform license to accommodate more stakeholders virtually, attendees will need to register.
*Once registered, you will receive a confirmation email and calendar item with your personal meeting link or phone number and the password. On the day/time of the meeting, you will need to click on that link or call, enter the appropriate password and then you will be in virtual attendance. (Note: please check spam or junk mail for this confirmation email as it will be coming from Zoom.)
Or participate by phone (registration not required):
Meeting ID: 823 3843 3972
L&I will be providing Spanish interpretation services at all meetings.
The Division of Occupational Safety & Health (DOSH) of the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries (L&I) is conducting permanent rulemaking to address hazards associated with the inhalation of wildfire smoke. We are holding a series of stakeholder meetings to discuss a draft version of the rule language, and to engage stakeholders in a conversation about key elements of the draft rule. Please note that the agenda will be the same for all of the meetings.
Rule Development Process:
• L&I filed a CR-101 (Preproposal Statement of Inquiry) on October 20, 2020 and has held multiple stakeholder meetings to discuss both permanent and emergency rulemaking.
• Please visit the Wildfire Smoke stakeholder page for additional information and updates.
• An emergency rule was in place for the 2021 wildfire smoke season.
• Another emergency rule is currently in place, which went into effect on June 15, 2022, and will expire on September 29, 2022.
• With the emergency wildfire smoke rule in place, L&I continues to develop a permanent rule for hazards associated with the inhalation of wildfire smoke in the workplace. L&I anticipates completing permanent rulemaking by summer 2023.
In addition to stakeholder feedback provided at the meetings, L&I also welcomes and encourages written comments. The deadline for submitting feedback on the draft version of the rule is Friday, October 21, 2022. Please submit comments to Cindy Ireland.
To sign up to receive email updates on this rulemaking process or other topics, log into the Subscriber Preferences Page. You can also update your subscriptions, modify your password or email address, or stop subscriptions at any time.