Trenching Rescue & Excavation Plan Rulemaking
L&I is considering amendments to the excavation, trenching, and shoring rules in Chapter 296-155 WAC
See all the rulemaking activity for Trenching Rescue & Excavation on our L&I Rulemaking page
Rulemaking officially began with a Preproposal (CR-101) filed on June 22, 2021. This work continues into 2023 as the draft rule is prepared for the official Proposal (CR-102) phase.
Learn more about our rulemaking process and terminology
Inspection data over the past several years show that excavation and trenching is uniquely hazardous work, and the failure to adequately plan for potential problems can result in catastrophic consequences. Between 2016 and 2020, there were multiple fatalities related to excavation and trenching work in Washington, in addition to numerous reported injuries.
DOSH believes that these fatalities and injuries are overwhelmingly preventable, and that by amending existing rule language to ensure that employers regularly assess the condition of their worksite, formally document hazards and rescue procedures, and communicate with workers on site before work ever begins, we can substantially reduce the likelihood of similar, preventable tragedies from occurring in the future.
To Be Announced
Previous Stakeholder Meetings
- Discussion Draft Spring 2023
- Draft Trench Work Plan Template
- Discussion Draft June 2022
- Discussion Draft, March 2022
- Discussion Draft, March 2022 (with source references)
Discussion Draft, November 2021
- Discussion Draft, November 2021 (with source references)
- Rulemaking Presentation
- CPWR Report – Recent Trenching Fatalities: Causes and Ways to Reduce
- DOSH Online Safety Training - Trenching and Excavation
- June Is Trench Safety Month! - National Utility Contractors Association (NUCA)
- OSHA Trenching and Excavation
Get updates via email
If you would like to receive email updates regarding this proposed rulemaking project and future stakeholder meetings, please sign up for our email updates.