The coronavirus disease outbreak (COVID-19) is impacting how we live and work in locations across Washington state.
Listed below is the guidance and resources for COVID-19 topics related to L&I.
Latest L&I News
- April 25, 2022: Worker died of COVID-19 after attending staff meeting at Sumner business
- Feb. 8, 2022: Centralia businesses fined more than a quarter of a million dollars collectively after 250 workers contract COVID-19 in the same warehouse
- Dec. 22, 2021: $60,000 fine issued for mask and social distancing violations at Stafford Creek Corrections Center
- Nov. 22, 2021: Longview paper mill fined nearly $140,000 for failing to protect workers from COVID-19
- Aug. 4, 2021: Landmark Gebbers Farms settlement means company will spend more than $2 million investing in Central WA farmworkers, families
- May 28, 2021: Emergency agriculture housing rules updated to reflect new masking and physical distancing guidance
- May 21, 2021: New state workplace masking guidelines help employers, workers adapt to new CDC recommendations
- May 7, 2021: Emergency agriculture housing rules updated to reflect current COVID-19 conditions
- Jan. 27, 2021: COVID-19 safety violations result in large fine for Yakima area fruit company
See more news releases.
L&I Local Offices
- Some local offices are open for in-person services. Offices can still help you by phone from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays (except state holidays). Use the phone number for your closest regional office, or you can call the Office of Information and Assistance at 360-902-5800.
Workplace Safety and Health
Washington State’s public health emergency proclamations for COVID-19 ended on October 31, 2022; however, HELSA is still in effect and COVID-19 is still a recognized workplace hazard that employers must address. Employers covered by recordkeeping rules are required to record workplace injuries and illnesses (including work-related COVID-19 illnesses) on an OSHA 300 log.
- COVID-19 (Coronavirus) safety topic: Industry and topic-based resources, including rules and guidance, training materials, and safety program templates.
- December 30, 2022: How to Assess COVID-19 Hazards at Work mobile-friendly eTool
- December 1, 2022: L&I Requirements and Guidance for Preventing COVID-19
- December 2, 2022: Questions and Answers: New Reporting, Notification, and PPE Requirements for Public Health Emergencies Involving Infectious or Contagious Diseases
- December 2, 2022: Questions and Answers: Protecting High-Risk Employees from Discrimination During Public Health Emergencies
- Sample COVID-19 Plan for Small Employers (under revision)
Masks, face coverings, and respiratory protection
- When Masks are Required (for employers)
- Medical Evaluation Questionnaire for Respirator Use
- Respirator Program Template and Guide for N95 Use
L&I Coronavirus Response Data
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) data dashboard (last updated: Jan. 31, 2023): Coronavirus-related enforcement, inspections, consultations, and workers' compensation claims.
Paid Sick Leave
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccines and Paid Sick Leave Common Questions: Answers for employers and employees on using paid sick leave to receive a vaccine.
- Paid Sick Leave and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Common Questions: Answers for businesses and workers on using paid sick leave during the coronavirus outbreak.
- Paid Leave Under the Washington Family Care Act: Answers for workers on using paid leave covered under the Washington Family Care Act.
Coronavirus Testing and Paid Time
COVID-19 Testing and Paid Time Common Questions: Answers for employers and workers on when testing would be considered paid time.
- Presumptive Coverage for Health Care and Frontline Workers: Answers to questions about workers’ compensation coverage for health care and frontline workers during a public health emergency, such as the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
- Workers' Compensation Coverage and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Common Questions: Answers for businesses, workers, and providers about workers' compensation coverage during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
- Self-Insurance and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Common Questions: Answers for self-insured businesses about workers' compensation coverage during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
- Common Questions About Public Health Emergencies From Businesses With Workers' Compensation Insurance Through L&I
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information for Health Care Providers
Coronavirus Information in Other Languages
- Información sobre el coronavirus (COVID-19) en español
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) information in 36 languages
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Washington State Department of Health (DOH): 2019 Novel Coronavirus Outbreak (COVID-19)