If you think a condition is not work related
- You must file the claim anyway.
- You can indicate that the condition is not work-related on the accident report.
- You can also inform the patient that the inappropriate filing of a claim may delay coverage by other insurers.
If the injury is minor
- File a claim whenever you treat an injured worker.
- Provisions of state law apply regardless of the severity of the injury. See below for laws and rules.
If you think a condition is work related, but your patient does not want to file a claim
- You are required to inform the injured worker of their rights.
- If the worker objects after hearing their rights, you must still file the Report of Accident.
- L&I cannot pay you for the visit unless a claim is filed.
If your patient is afraid of retaliation for filing a claim
Let the patient know that they are protected against such discrimination.