As a valued customer, L& I wants to make your experience with us as effective and useful as possible. We want it to be quick and easy to find the information you need. You can help us improve by sharing your thoughts. We want to know about your preferred contact method for the following areas:
- Billing and payment
- Navigating reimbursement fees and policies
Please take 5 minutes to share your feedback. Please be sure to respond by 10/4/22.
Before your claim is filed you should: get medical help, and tell your employer.
If you work for a self-insured employer, you must file your claim with them. Contact your employer's personnel department for help.
Gather the following information before you start your claim:
- Location where the injury occurred
- Contact information for any witnesses to the injury
- Employer information
- Wage information
- Names and birth dates of your dependents
- If you have already seen a doctor:
- Your doctor's first and last name
- Hospital or clinic where you received treatment
L&I strives to make filing a claim as easy as possible, and you have options:
- Online via our FileFast tool
- By phone: 1-877-561-FILE (3453)
- At your doctor’s office (if you complete the Report of Accident at your doctor's office, the doctor files the form for you)
Your doctor has 5 days to send the report to L&I or your self-insured employer. Processing time will vary, depending on the type of claim. If you are eligible for wage-replacement benefits, and no further information is needed, L&I or your self-insured employer sends the first benefit check within 14 days of receiving the report.
L&I or your self-insured employer must receive your Report of Accident within 1 year of your injury date to file a claim. We must receive it within two years from the date of your doctor's diagnosis for occupational disease claims.