Who is covered?

If you pay someone to drive your for-hire vehicle, taxi or limousine, you must have a workers’ compensation policy, report their hours, and make timely premium payments.

Who isn't covered?

  • Anyone who owns and operates their own vehicle
  • Anyone who leases a for-hire vehicle from someone else
  • Drivers providing commercial transportation services, also known as transportation network company services, as defined in Chapter 48.177 RCW, Commercial Transportation Services

However, these groups may elect coverage by completing Application for Elective Coverage - Sole Proprietor, Partners, For-Profit Corporate Officers, or Member/Managers of Limited Liability Company (LLC) (F213-042-000) form and going to our How to Get a Workers' Compensation Account section.

Benefits of electing coverage

Work-related injuries may not be covered by other insurance. Washington does not allow private workers' compensation coverage. If you want workers’ compensation coverage, you must purchase it from L&I.

Workers’ compensation provides benefits for:

  • Medical bills related to work-related injuries or illnesses
  • Partial wage replacement benefits if you can’t work because of work-related injuries or illnesses

Quarterly reporting options

Choose a single option to report all of your drivers. If you decide to change how you report, please contact the number below.

Limousine and cabulance:
  • Actual hours worked by every driver
  • 480 hours per quarter for every driver
  • Actual hours worked by every driver
  • 480 hours per quarter for every driver
  • 960 hours per quarter for every vehicle