Electrical Laws & Rules
Current electrical laws (RCW)
Replacement/insert pages due to changes in legislation. Please replace/insert pages below in your print version of 2018 RCW 19.28.
- Replacement page 5 - Change is due to 2019 legislation - SHB 1594.
- Replacement page 7 - Change is due to 2020 plumbing legislation - SB 6170
- Replacement page 9 - Change is due to 2020 plumbing legislation - SB 6170
- Replacement page 16 - Change is due to 2020 plumbing legislation - SB 6170
- Replacement page 18 - Change is due to 2020 plumbing legislation - SB 6170
- Replacement page 22 - Change is due to 2021 legislation - SSB 5267.
- Insert page 22.5 – Please insert this page between pages 22 and 23. Change is due to 2020 legislation - SSB 6409 which added new section 19.28.265.
- Replacement page 27 - Change is due to 2021 legislation - SSB 5267
Current electrical rules (WAC)
Replacement pages due to rule changes. Please replace pages below in your October 29, 2020 print version of WAC 296-46B.
- Replacement fee schedule pages (Effective July 1, 2021) – Changes reflect 5.79% fee increase.
- Replacement page 89 – Change is due to rule revisions of WAC 296-46B-940 Reciprocal agreements between Washington and other states.
Amusement ride laws and rules
NFPA codes and standards
2021 Fee Increase
L&I has adopted changes to the Electrical rules that increase fees by 5.79% beginning July 1, 2021. The fee increase is needed to help support operating expenses for inspections and other program public safety activities.
The fee changes affect:
- Chapter 296-46B-906, Inspection Fees.
- Chapter 296-46B-909, Electrical/telecommunications contractor's license, administrator certificate and examination, master electrician certificate and examination, electrician certificate and examination, copy, and miscellaneous fees.
- Chapter 296-46B-911, Electrical testing laboratory and engineer accreditation fees.
You can download a copy of the revised fees above for replacement in your October 2020 print version of WAC 296-46B.
- CR-101 Preproposal
- CR-102 Proposed Rulemaking
- CR-103 Rule Language
- CR-103 Rulemaking Order
- Public comment and response
2021 WAC 296-46B-995 Electrical Board – Appeal Rights and Hearings
On December 1, 2020, L&I filed a CR-101 to begin the rule making process to consider amending WAC 296-46B-995 in response to a petition for rule making. The petition seeks to clarify, simplify, and make the procedures for appeals to the board easier to understand and navigate, as well as to help reduce confusion for those that appeal decisions to the board.
Watch for more information about this rule making in the coming months.
As new policies are approved, they will be posted here. Please check back on a regular basis.
|Policy Number||Effective Date|
|none current or pending||None as of 10/1/2013|