Every employer in Washington State is required to create a written Accident Prevention Program (APP) to address the safety and health hazards found in their workplace. Many employers consider their APP as their cornerstone safety program.
Identifying hazards is the first step to creating an APP. Resources, like the Job Hazard Analysis or the Workplace Hazard Basics course, are available to help you with that task. Other tools include program templates that require customizing in order to meet requirements.
Depending on the hazards in your workplace, you may also need to create additional safety programs.
An APP will help you prevent costly workplace injuries and keep workers working.
For most businesses, the General Industry or Small Business APP should meet the needs for you to comply with the APP requirements:
If your business has workers who work outside during May through September, you may also need to document your safety plan (see Outdoor Heat Exposure requirements for more info). You can use this template:
In workplaces where the employer should reasonably anticipate that employees may be exposed to wildfire smoke, per WAC 296-62-085, wildfire smoke must be addressed in the employer's written APP.
- Wildfire smoke APP addendum template
- Humo de incendios forestales - Plantilla de anexo del Programa de prevención de accidentes (Spanish version)
In addition, we also have sample templates for specific industries, which may have industry-specific requirements.
- Agriculture APP English
- Agriculture APP Spanish
- Construction APP English
- Construction APP Spanish
- Firefighters APP
- Logging APP
- Restaurant Industry APP
- Restaurant Industry APP Spanish
- Sawmills APP
If your specific industry isn't listed, use the General Industry APP English and change the title.
Accident Prevention Program (most employers) (WAC 296-800-140)
Construction APP (WAC 296-155-110)
Agriculture APP (WAC 296-307, Part B)
Fire Fighters APP (WAC 296-305-01505)
Logging APP (WAC 296-54-515)
Outdoor Heat Exposure (addendum to APP) WAC 296-62-09539
- Job Safety Analysis : Pro-Active Planning (English/Spanish)
- Hazard Identification - Understanding Hazard Controls (YouTube-OSHA)
- OSHA Introduction to the Job Hazard Analysis (YouTube-OSHA)
- Three Core Elements of a Safety + Health Program (YouTube-US Dept. of Labor)
(Right-click on "Editable Version" and choose "Save link/target as...")
- Accident Prevention Program (APP), Editable Version
- Job Hazard Analysis (JHA) (PowerPoint), Editable Version
- Safety & Health Worksite Inspection Checklist - Module 1, Editable Version
- Safety & Health Worksite Inspection Checklist - Module 2, Editable Version
- Safety & Health Worksite Inspection Checklist - Module 3, Editable Version
- Workplace Hazard Basics
Publications, Handouts, Checklists, Sample Programs
- A Guide to Workplace Safety and Health in Washington State (English)(F416-132-000)
- A Guide to Workplace Safety and Health in Washington State (Spanish)(F416-132-999)